Courtesy of the Automotive Service Association
The following simple and inexpensive preventive checks will greatly extend the life of the vehicle, ensure safer operation and even benefit the environment.
Always consult your owner's manual for individual service schedules because maintenance requirements vary by manufacturer.
- Always consult your owner's manual, but a good rule of thumb is to have the oil filter changed regularly - every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
- Have all fluids checked, including brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze. These fluids play a large role in the safety and performance of the vehicle.
- Check tire inflation. Under-inflated tires can result in a loss of fuel efficiency. This is the least expensive form of preventive and safety maintenance. Tires should be checked once a month.
- Keep your engine tuned. A fouled spark plug or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30 percent.
- Have the chassis lubricated frequently. This step extends the life of the moving components of the vehicle's suspension system.
- Check battery cables and posts for corrosion and clean them as needed. The battery fluid also should be checked and filled if it is low, unless it is a maintenance-free battery.
- Have the lighting system checked frequently, including headlights, turn signals, and brake and taillights.
- Check windshield washer blades for cracks, tears and windshield contact. Replace them at least once a year, or sooner if streaking begins.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
- Have the air filtration system checked frequently. The air filter should be checked every other oil change for clogging or damage. This system ensures that the vehicle is performing at its peak condition.
|Service Interval Schedule:|
Vehicle System or Component
Check Every 3,000 Miles
Nothing but High Praise for this shop and all of their employees - Family business that provides exceptional service. Drove me home while they worked on my car the picked me up upon completion... Won't find that level of customer service at many privately owned repair facilities.. Customer Forever Boys!!!!!!!!!!
I had a pre-purchase inspection of a used car done at Pry Automotive in Butler. I was helped by Dominic and the service was amazing. My experience was one of honesty and straightforward communication. I live about an hour away and had scheduled this inspection to be done over the phone. Dominic had the vehicle come in as soon as he could, examined it, and called me afterward to give a comprehensive review of the issues and helped me figure out hypothetical costs for repair. This was my first time buying a used car and Dominic gave excellent advice beyond what was expected. I would highly recommend this location.
I heard about Pry from a new neighbor upon my recent move to the area. After having a new battery installed on my Jeep at a different shop, it failed inspection since the sensors had not completely reset, which I have learned is a common problem. I called Pry and explained my problem and John was as professional as you could ask for. He new my issue reassured me that it's a normal occurrence and I have set an appointment to have it repaired and inspected at Pry. I'll review after the work is done, but if the telephone call is representative of the way I'll be treated I believe I have found my local shop for all my car repairs and maintenance.